I own a library of thousands of books in paper, audio, and various digital formats.
There are many books like this, but this one is mine.
I have no audacity to say I bring anything new to this field.
I realize scholars might get frustrated with this book if they ever bother to read it.
However, this book does serve a couple of useful purposes.
First and foremost, it is a self-study guide.
It was written as a set of my separate notes while studying Shudōkan Karate, Kobudō, Aikidō, and the culture of Okinawa and Japan.
When I write these words, it is as if I am polishing a bronze mirror.
A round bronze mirror holds great symbolic significance in Japan and much of South and East Asia.
The mirror is a piece of metal that requires frequent polishing, a time-consuming and effort-intensive task. I know, as I own one.
As I started preparing this book for publishing, I became acutely aware of my own impermanence. I had no idea how long I would live. A stroke, coronary heart disease, cancer, or even a simple road accident could happen to anyone, any time.
I realize that at this moment, virtually no one I personally know is interested in the subject. However, since I have built a lifetime of daily notes, study, books I have read, travel, and experiences that I do not want to disappear.
I hope that people who are not interested today may pick it up in 20 years.
I certainly always wished I had any writings from my own ancestors.
No comments:
Post a Comment